PHONG NHA NATIONAL PARK – HANG VA CAVE EXPEDITION 2D1N
Hang Va contains some of the world’s rarest and most incredible formations – numerous tower cones rising up from emerald green waters. Nuoc Nut is an adventurous underground passage with dry and wet passages and clear blue pools. This tour combines them both and is for adventurous travellers who want to experience two contrasting caves and sleep in a jungle campsite. The experience is particularly rewarding for photographers.
- Itinerary Details
- We will provide during this trip
- What’s excluded?
- You will need to bring
- Useful information
Phong Nha – Hang Nuoc Nut – Hang Va jungle camp (L-D)
Our tour bus will pick you up from your hotel in Phong Nha between 08:00 and 08:30, for the drive to the our office. Here you will have a tour safety briefing, sign the release form and receive the required equipment for the tour.
The route starts with a short steep drop down from the road to the valley floor. A nice easy half hour trek in the forest brings you to a dry rocky stream. Follow the rocky path carefully to climb down over boulders to the Nuoc Nut Cave entrance. Enjoy a picnic lunch and then with your caving light and helmet enter into the darkness. Initially quite small, the cave soon opens up into impressive dimensions. Plenty of stalactites and stalagmites can be seen on the way. After a rocky section you will meet the underground river. Follow this to the point it enters the water filled passage. On the return take the passage connecting to Hang Va. This involves about 100m of swimming with a lifejacket and guide line. Harnesses will be used to climb out of the entrance to camp. If water levels are high, head back to the surface. A short steep rocky hill and descent will then bring you to the campsite. Enjoy dinner served by your team, and the experience of a night deep in the jungle.
Hang Va – Phong Nha (B-L)
The following morning you will have a safety briefing on how to use the harnesses and ropes.
You will then descend the steep rocky entrance using the equipment. Hang Va is a beautiful stream cave where you will experience narrow passages, rocky climbs and some deep pools with very nice opportunities for photography. After exploring the river passage you will use your harnesses and traverse across to the high level passage using the ropes. Follow the path up into this large dry passage. Notice the huge gour dams as you climb over to finally reach the amazing tower cone formations. As yet no one knows exactly how these have formed. Return the same way to camp for lunch. Trek out through the jungle over a rocky hill to another stream valley, and back to the road. Enjoy a cold drink. Transfer to Phong Nha arriving at around 17:00.
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses, pillow
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Semi dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside your backpack
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and safety assistants
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Tips and personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- All not indicated in our itinerary
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite plus your swim suit.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 small towel
- 1 backpack to hold personal items
- 2 pair of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- 1 pair of calf-length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- 1 set of camp clothes (shorts are okay for around camp; please bring a fleece in winter)
- Personal items:mosquito repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwears, toiletries
Specific food requests
Please let us know if you have specific eating restrictions, allergic for certain things or if you are vegetarian, we can take that into account during the trips.
Adventure Level 4 – challenging
- 2-day tour
- Moderate trekking – very rocky terrain
- 8km of trekking including 4km of caving
- Total elevation gain: 150m
- River crossings
- Swimming in caves (100m)
- There will be some rocky terrain, steep hills and several sections using ropes and harnesses. Inside the caves you will often be wet.
Especially for the north and central Vietnam;
In the period between November and April, the weather is variable, from sunny to cold and rainy. It is advisable during this period to bring some rain gear with some warmer clothes. In the period from April to November, it is good to pack a hat with a wide brim, sunscreen (at least SPF15) and a reliable insect repellent. A thin rain poncho is useful all year round.
The south of Vietnam is generally a lot warmer all year round, so warm clothing is not really necessary.
Get Up And Go Vietnam does everything to make your trip an unforgettable experience. Unfortunately, we have no control over weather conditions. Our apologies for that!
What do I need to know?
During the period March to November it will good to pack your swimming gear, a towel, a wide-brimmed hat, sunscreen (at least SPF15), a reliable insect repellent, toiletries, a camera and lots of batteries. Warm clothing for the cooler months of November to March is advised. How much luggage can I take? Your vehicle has limited space so please keep your luggage to a maximum of 15kgs in a backpack or soft over-night bag and include a small day pack to hand carry for easy access to camera, sunscreen, water etc. Inhibitions can be left in the luggage storage rooms at your hotel with your other unwanted baggage.
Get Up and Go Vietnam is doing all possible to make your journey and travel experience an unforgettable one. Weather conditions, we unfortunately cannot control. Our apologies for that!